Summer is here and that only means one thing, ROAD TRIPS.
We are finally allowed to travel, so it’s time to pack your bags, grab your mates and set off on an unforgettable journey. Here are our recommendations of some of the best road trips you can enjoy anywhere in Australia.
The Great Ocean Road (VIC)
- Stretching over 200km of Victoria’s coastline, the Great Ocean Road is home to some of the greatest sights to see throughout all of Australia. See incredible surf beaches, breath-taking waterfalls and eat some of the finest seafood you cannot find anywhere else in Australia.
Wilson’s Prom (VIC)
- Not only is Wilson’s Prom home to some of the most extravagant beaches along Australia’s south coast, but this 2.5-hour road trip out of Melbourne let’s you experience incredible rainforests, mountains and the uber-popular refuge cove.
The Great Alpine Road (VIC)
- An obscure one for sure, but this road trip that stretches from Wangaratta down to Metung takes you on a journey through Victoria’s alpine region, flowing through Bright and Falls Creek and features some of the most unforgettable landscapes that Victoria has to offer.
The Greater Blue Mountains (NSW)
- Anyone who has ever had an interest in road trips or camping has heard of the Blue Mountains in New South Wales. A road trip with over 1200km of potential travelling, visit the Blue Mountains National Park, the rural towns scattered through country NSW and have fun exploring some of the ancient forests along the way.
The Darling River Run (NSW)
- Explore across NSW in this road trip that spans from the start of the Darling River in New South Wales, all the way to the Murray River border between Victoria and New South Wales. Riverboats, wetlands, and giant sand dunes, what more could you want?
Grand Pacific Drive (NSW)
- Just a few hours out of Sydney, this stunning road trip visits the royal national park, traversing the coastal roads through Illawarra and Wollongong all the way down to Jervis Bay. Fish and Chips, anyone?
Explorer’s Highway (SA/NT)
- I can personally vouch for this road trip; it is unlike anything else anywhere in the world. Live underground in converted opal mines, visit Uluru, learn about the indigenous dreamtime, and make your way up to Darwin. The possibilities are endless.
Perth to Margaret River (WA)
- This road-trip is suitable all-year round thanks to Western Australia’s consistent weather. Stretching over 800 kilometres, visit places like Serpentine Falls, the breath-taking D’Entrecasteaux National park and explore your way right up to the Margaret River region.
Pacific Coast Way (QLD)
- This one may just take the cake for the most breath-taking stretch of road you can every travel along. This road-trip allows you to visit essentially every single beach along Queensland’s coast. Visit places like the sunshine coast, Airlie Beach and Cairns. I personally recommend doing a whale-watching experience in Hervey Bay, if you have a day to spare, you will not regret it.
75 Mile Beach (QLD)
- Spanning from Maroochydore on the sunshine coast to the seemingly never-ending 75 Mile Beach to the north, surround yourself with panoramic views of Queensland’s stunning coastline and set up camp along the shore to wake up to some gorgeous early-morning sunrises.